How to Select a Real Estate Agent to Guide You on the Homebuying Journey
We know buying a home for your family is one of the most important purchases, and the right real estate agent can help you acquire the house in the location and at a price that is best for you.
Establish a general list of potential Realtors®, trim it by selecting a professional who is a specialist in the neighborhoods where you plan to buy a home.
If, for example, you are shopping for a home in Perth Amboy, South Amboy, Sewaren, Edison, Metuchen or Woodbridge, it makes sense to select a real estate agent who knows these communities.
Once you select a real estate firm, specific broker or real estate agent, schedule an appointment. Prepare a list of questions for the broker and real estate agent. These questions usually cover the following:
- When did the agent start selling homes in this area and how long has the firm been in the residential real estate business?
- How does real estate firm’s approach to assisting homebuyers differ from his or her competitors?
- What type of resources will the real estate firm and agent use to help me find and buy my home?
- Who are the professionals the firm or agent can recommend to assist with securing a mortgage, doing a title search and home inspection, and preparing the contracts?
- How much does the firm charge for its services and who is responsible for paying the agent’s commission?
- What type of paperwork will real estate firm expect a client to sign and does that include signing a Buyer’s Agency Agreement?
An important part of your home buying journey begins by looking at your personal finances. The goal, after reviewing your income, expenses, debt and savings, is to calculate the funds that will be available for a down payment, monthly mortgage expense and costs associated with running a home.
Once you have an idea about how much money is available to spend on a home, it’s time make a series of appointments to visit local real estate firms and meet prospective agents.
Remember that your real estate agent can keep your home buying journey on track. For example, your agent can:
- Recommend a mortgage broker or home mortgage banker
- Review the steps and information you will need to obtain a letter from a lender that pre-approves a mortgage for specific sum
- Develop a house-hunting strategy that will include a combination of home visits and online searches
- Arrange appointments with listing agents to tour one or more homes
- Prepare an offer for the home you want to buy
As you begin the home-buying journey, keep in mind the importance of forming a team with your real estate agent. A team built on trust, respect and open communication can achieve amazing results.